Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Fabulous Flapjacks

Forget everything you thought you knew about Flapjacks and check these out - not an ounce of butter in site!



I love flapjacks but the commercial produced ones are jam packed with fats and simple sugars and whilst I am all for a little indulgence here and there, I wanted to create something that I could eat as an afternoon snack or post workout. 

As with some of my other snacks, these ones don't require any baking and so are super simple to prepare. Start by heating maple syrup* (see my note below on this) with some cinnamon in a saucepan until the cinnamon has combined. As I've mentioned before, I don't measure but i'd guess at 4 tablespoons of maple syrup and one tablespoon of cinnamon. This may sound a lot but remember you can get up to 10 portions from this recipe.

Whilst this is heating, put your chosen selection of nuts into a food processor and blend until they are nicely broken down. I used Cashews, Walnuts, Almonds and Pecans. Add these, along with Oats, pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries and chopped dark chocolate to the syrup saucepan and stir. I also add a scoop of protein to this to increase the protein content but as ever, this is entirely optional.

Next transfer all of this into a lined tin, pushing the mixture down and put into the freezer. Whilst chilling, you can then make the topping, again is entirely optional, they are great with or without. The topping is chocolate hazelnut spead, the recipe for which can be found on my pancake post. Remove the flapjacks from the freezer, top until your hearts content and that's it!

These are brilliant for satisfying sweet cravings any time of the day and provide a great source of energy pre and post training. I keep mine in the freezer and take out an hour or so before I want to eat them.

*I use 100% pure maple syrup, always check the labels of what you buy as many are as little as 20% maple syrup and the other 80% is refined sugar and other nasties you want to avoid.