Monday 9 February 2015

The Domestic Godess

Following my resolve on Saturday that I need to eat more, I got to work this weekend on a number of meals and snacks to keep me feeling my best throughout training.

First on the list was something snackable, that was nutritious enough to help maintain blood sugar levels but also yummy. So I settled upon these little beauties, what I am calling Carb-Tien Bites (name probably needs some work, suggestions welcome!)

The perfect in between meal snack

Super simple to make, they combine Oats for a hit of complex carbs, Soy Protein Powder for muscle repair, Three-Nut butter for more protein and all round yumminess, a splash of Almond Milk to help bind the whole lot together and some chunks of Dark Chocolate (because Dark Chocolate). Made in under 5 minutes, I store these in the freezer and help myself as and when.

Next I moved on to developing something that can be easily adapted depending on how hungry/in need of carbs I am - doesn't it look beautiful?

You can get just the Pomegranate seeds from M&S which
are a real time saver.

Essentially, this is just my favourite greens in a creamy yet low fat sauce that here is served on courgette noodles but could easily be replaced with Pasta, Quinoa, Rice or anything else depending on your fancy. I baked some broccoli, then added this to a saucepan in which I had melted the 'Lightest' Philadelphia cream cheese and skimmed milk, then added Peas and Spinach. Served and topped with Pine Nuts and Pomegranate seeds, finished with a sprinkle of Parmesan. With lots of Fibre and Iron this one is a winner, and looks amazing, which I always finds seems to make it taste even better!

Then it only seemed right to make something sweet - I don't have a huge sweet tooth but I do find myself looking forwards to a dessert following a long run. So this on is adapted from 'Deliciously Ella' (link in previous post) and is a take on a classic Apple and Blackberry Crumble. Again, super easy to prepare, just pop a chopped apple and a handful of blackberries in a saucepan with a little water and top with Cinnamon, then simmer until soft. I then drained 90% of the remaining liquid, put in a bowl and topped with some homemade granola I had left (recipe in 'I heart breakfast' post), and that's it! So yummy and comforting, but no added sugar, just what I was after!

All the flavor without the refined sugar!

Not bad for a weekends work hey! The best thing about all the above is that you can make them as individual portions or prepare in a mega batch then freeze and simply defrost and go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment